The Must-Try Hotel Pool Workout for the Healthy Traveller
Who said a hotel pool is for lounging? Not this healthy and active traveller! Grab a towel and hit the hotel pool with a splash! One of my favorite things to do while traveling is spend time in the hotel pool. It shows me how much hotel management truly cares about the hotel and the guests in it. Get to know your hotel pool by working out in it!
Why should I work out in the pool?
Exercising in the water is not only a fun break from the traditional routines, but it also comes with a set of advantages. Water provides more resistance than air, which means aquatic workouts can be more demanding and help you burn more calories in less time and strengthen your muscles.
Aquatic exercises can be more challenging but they are also considered a low-impact activity. So you can get all the gains while protecting your bones, joints, and muscles.
Do: Go early in the morning or late at night
Don’t: Workout during a very crowded time. Be considerate of your surroundings
- Jumping Jacks
- Start with your feet together and arms bent at 90 degrees and by your sides.
- Jump both legs out, and at the same time, lift both bent arms up to shoulder height—keep your arms underwater for the best effect.
- While jumping, focus on “powering in” to target the inner thighs, or “powering out” to target the outer hips.
- Do 3 sets of 20
- Stationary Kick
- Hold onto the side of the swimming pool with both hands.
- Allow your body to float vertically and kick up and down with both legs
- Do this exercise for 5 minutes. Take a 1 minute break. Continue for another 5 minutes.
- Pool edge-side burpees
- In deep end, hold on to edge of pool with right hand so that body is perpendicular to edge.
- Tuck knees into chest to place both feet flat (right stacked above left) against pool wall, as high as possible.
- Maintaining hand grip throughout the pool exercise, jump feet off the wall and extend legs, engaging abs to bring body as parallel to surface as possible, as if in a side-plank position (left hip now stacked above right).
- Return to tuck and continue for 1 minute.
- Start in the water facing edge of pool with hands flat on deck outside of shoulders, arms straight, and legs bent so feet are behind body.
- Bend elbows to 90 degrees (or as low as possible), then push back up to start.
- Do 3 sets. Do 10–12 reps per set.
- Squat Jump
- Start in a low squat with arms extended straight forward at shoulder height.
- Explosively jump off the pool floor while pressing arms down and back behind body.
- Land back in starting position.
- Do this 12–15 per set
- Jogging in place
- This is the perfect cool down exercise!
- Stand in shallow water and slowly begin jogging in place
- Do this for 5 minutes
Tip: After your workout order a drink from the pool bar and enjoy the rest of your day! Time to indulge.